Sunday, May 16, 2010

How do we fit into the mould

I usually watch the Style Network on Television. On this particular weekend I was in the shower and a thought occurred to me about all of the shows I watch, why do we want to change people so much?

Is it because we want everyone to fit into a "mould" that is set by a group of other peoples standards.

I offer you an example; A woman who looks like a modern day Betty Paige is not taken seriously at her childrens parent teacher meetings because the cookie cutter parents deem her to not be a sensible or a mature enough person to share her opinions based upon her looks, cue; enter the typical metrosexual host to tell her that she needs to change her look to be taken as a serious mother (please stop me here if you have lost me but don't you find this a little contradictory of societies views of us all being individuals) after much coaxing the woman gives in to a complete stranger who claims to be the next biggest thing in the fashion industry by letting go of her unique look, which also comes with her personality.

Then the "transformation" take place first they go through her home and private drawers to get rid of clothes that may remind her of her former self, next they make her destroy her possessions and finally they give her a brief lesson in how to dress herself after being able to do it for the past 30yrs not before sending her off to buy a whole new her.

This may be a self esteem issue but it certainly sounds to me like it's the other people that should change the way they look at life.

No comments:

Post a Comment